Tuesday, 14 April 2009

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson


Synopsis:

The nameless and beautiful narrator of "The Gargoyle" is driving along a dark road when he is distracted by what seems to be a flight of arrows. He crashes into a ravine and wakes up in a burns ward, undergoing the tortures of the damned. His life is over - he is now a monster. But in fact it is only just beginning. One day, Marianne Engel, a wild and compelling sculptress of gargoyles, enters his life and tells him that they were once lovers in medieval Germany. In her telling, he was a badly burned mercenary and she was a nun and a scribe who nursed him back to health in the famed monastery of Engelthal. As she spins her tale, Scheherazade fashion, and relates equally mesmerising stories of deathless love in Japan, Greenland, Italy and England, he finds himself drawn back to life - and, finally, to love.

Review:

The version of the book that I read had a red cover adorned with golden arrows and a flaming heart. The outer edges to the pages were coloured with black signifying burning, which fits with the theme of the book.

The book graphically describes the effect of the burns and their treatment, but despite this I found the book very compelling. The story slips between the present day and the 14th century as Marianne tells the tale of their previous life together. The telling of the tale makes you believe the unbelievable, making you reassess what is fact and what is fiction.

Many subjects are covered in the book; such as burns, mental illness, Christianity, history and medieval Europe.

In some ways the book describes a tragedy as a beauty is transformed into a beast. But that is only the physical aspect, mentally I think the journey is reversed.

I really loved the book and think it is an impressive first for the author. However I do think it is one of those books you will love or hate.

9 comments:

UBERMOUTH said...

Oh, I love book reviews. Well done, Cherie. Please make this a regular feature.
Did you ever read Diana Gabaldon's series?
It's about an American woman who visits Scotland, goes for a walk, touches this ancient,huge stone. It makes her faint and when she comes to, she has gone back in history hundreds of years. She did, I believe, 4 books in the series detailing her adventures, having to cover she's from the future, and falls in love with her perfect man.

UBERMOUTH said...

Talk about bad timing. :)

Iamhe said...

Why always fiction?

James Higham said...

What was said about Christianity?

CherryPie said...

Uber - I am glad you enjoyed it, I will try and do some more. It depends on my finding time to read books ;-) I haven't read the books you mention, but they sound interesting.

Iamhe - I read factual books too, I think my reviews on those might be a bit stale though.

James - There is a lot of symbolism throughout the book and one of the main characters was a Nun and it gives some detail of that and translating scriptures.

Dragonstar said...

sounds fascinating :)

sally in norfolk said...

not my kind of book , well not really sure anymore what my kind of book is ...been so long since i read one :-(

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

At first I thought I wouldn't like it but as I read on in your review I decided I would so I'll look out for it.

CherryPie said...

Dragonstar - It is quite an unusual read.

Sally - Sometimes I go through phases when I can't get into reading at all.

Welshcakes - If you do read it I would love to hear what you think about it.

Post a Comment