Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Message to the G20


From CongressTV.tv

On Saturday 28th March 2009, several hundred PCS members joined the 35,000 people from all over the country who marched through London in order to challenge the G20 ahead of the summit that is due to take place on 2nd April. The march started off from Embankment and wound its way to Hyde Park where the event culminated in a Rally addressed by several speakers. At the summit world leaders will be discussing their response to the current global financial crisis.

The event was organised by ‘Put the People First’ which is a coalition of trade unions, development charities, faith groups, environmentalists and other organisations. This coalition was formed in response to call on the G20 members to seek a sustainable route out of the recession.
Even before the banking collapse, the world suffered poverty, inequality and the threat of climate chaos. The world has followed a financial model that has created an economy fueled by ever-increasing debt, both financial and environmental.

Our future depends on creating an economy based on fair distribution of wealth, decent jobs for all and a low carbon future.

There can be no going back to business as usual.

11 comments:

RobW said...

I suppose it depends on what you mean by business as usual.

James Higham said...

This coalition was formed in response to call on the G20 members to seek a sustainable route out of the recession.

Have you read Sonus and articles on CP etc., Cherie? There is no route out - there's an agenda.

CherryPie said...

Rob - It probably means different things to different people, but it means change is coming!

James - Yes I have read them. Isn't the fact that there is an agenda the point for taking action?

The cynic would say what is the point you can't change anything.

I say you won't change anything if you don't try but if you do...

At the very least you can put your hand on your heart and say I did my best and there is the chance (no matter how small) of so much more to gain.

UBERMOUTH said...

This is America's and Britain's fault.

CherryPie said...

Uber - I blame the people who gain power and in turn get greedy...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Well done for posting this, Cherie.

UBERMOUTH said...

Power positions attract a certain mentality such as psychopaths.

CherryPie said...

Uber - I think innocent people (who just want to make a difference) sometimes get sucked in by power too...

CherryPie said...

Welshcakes - I am glad you enjoyed it :-)

Ellee Seymour said...

Yes, well done Cherry Pie.

CherryPie said...

Ellee - Thank You :-)

Post a Comment