Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Public Services and the Budget

With my TU hat on I thought it would be a good idea to check the budget out and see what the future held for public services.

The BBC website very helpfully has a collection of links to the budget report. So I clicked on the link for the complete budget report entitled 'Budget 2009: Building Britain's Future'. I didn't get the budget but a custom error message, the link had been blocked by my place of work. It gave two possible reasons...

It might link to a site that allows unauthenticated access too email such as Yahoo or Hotmail. Well I know that wasn't the problem it was a PDF document. The other possible reason was that the site may contain offensive content such as hate, sex or violence. I knew the budget wasn't going to be pleasant, but that is taking it a bit too far!!!

It made me laugh anyway ;-)

budgetcloud

At least I could access the link 'Chapter 6: Improving Public Services'.

It says quite a lot about what they have spent on Public Services but not how they have wasted the money. Far too much to summarise so I will leave you with a couple of quotes that relate to previous posts of mine.

The Government remains strongly supportive of the value that private finance can bring to infrastructure procurement. In March 2009, the Government announced a public sector infrastructure debt-financing unit to provide temporary support for Private Finance Initiative (PFI) projects until market conditions improve, ensuring that vital projects in areas such as schools, waste and housing can proceed as planned. Projects in procurement with a total capital value of around £13 billion will be the immediate beneficiaries. The unit has recently reached financial close on its first project lending £120 million alongside the European Investment Bank and commercial lenders to the Greater Manchester Waste Development Authority's PFI project, ensuring that the £635 million construction programme can still go ahead.

Public Sector workers are at the heart of delivering world-class public services and supporting long term economic growth, prosperity and fairness. Public sector pay policy needs to be set in context of wider developments across the economy, where it is clear that the weaker private sector labour market has increased the reletive attractiveness of the public sector as an employer. In setting public sector pay the Government will continue to balance a number of objectives: recruiting and retaining a high quality workforce; affordability and value for money for tax payers; and consistency with acheiving the Bank of England's inflation target. In this context, continued public sector pay restraint will be important to support front-line service delivery.


Personally I think they are going to fail and waste even more money.

18 comments:

Iamhe said...

Is this what those statements refer to?Or thisOr perhaps this is where the money goesYou should know that the writer in the bottom left of the cartoon is Marx! That is precisely what is happening in the West, right nowThe actors behind the scenes know the west cannot afford this war, and stupid politicians commit our blood and treasure endlessly. Become an expat before exit taxes claim a portion of your house when you sell it!

Iamhe said...

Sheesh!

Well that got totally garbled!

There are 5 separate links there.

CherryPie said...

The links although I can only see four...

Link One
Link Two
Link Three
Link Four

CherryPie said...

Now I just need to go and read them ;-)

Iamhe said...

The missing link.
Oh my

James Higham said...

It says quite a lot about what they have spent on Public Services but not how they have wasted the money.

And therein lies the problem.

jams o donnell said...

Political whims too oten override financial prudence, a trait of the Tories as well as Labour

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I agree with jams.

CherryPie said...

Iamhe - Some very interesting links there...

James - Yes, that is what I was trying to get accross - So much waste and so many areas where quite significant savings could be made.

Jams - So true, I think when people get in that position they forget the reason why they are.

Welshcakes - Me too :-)

Iamhe said...

Cherry,
Interesting indeed.
I have a friend of a friend who happened to be there at the time.
She knew the mother.
Now she doesn't want to know the mother.

jackie said...

End of blogging.
Fair share of warnings issued. Now up to others.

Don't blame yourself. Getting down with lack of response.

Will still visit.

Many thanks for concern. :-)

CherryPie said...

End of blogging.

Until recently you were commenting in a very biased place despite what it says on the tin. Hence the negative attitude there.

I had got fed up with the conversations there before that dispute and changing of the thread. The comments that were deleted were mine BTW.

I hope that when you visit you will still comment and exchange and explore ideas with me, I would like that very much :-)

I have always enjoyed our conversations and you telling me things I didn't know. I also appreciate your suggestions of places to visit, which I will follow up on if circumstances allow, next year.

Of course it is up to you whether you choose to comment or not but I will miss our exchanges.

Also I will always remember how supportive you were when my Dad died, it means a lot to me.

And I did notice your most recent comment elsewhere coming back to this one ;-)

Am I scaring you :-)

Anonymous said...

Ambiguous question. :-)

Not you personally.

I was trying to figure how to speak privately, It is difficult in this medium.

The entire situation, covert watching, etc. upcoming legislation, collapsing economies.
Nations attack their own populace first in times of stress, then con them!

Maybe you should cut of the points of access to your site that you cannot monitor, - feeds etc - at least you would know fully who is reading.

Increasingly the state is viewed as the enemy of freedom.

I'm rambling.

I went to a bootifull place today, many shades of green, past three dams right to the top of the cul-de-sac. Parked in clear sunlight. Watched the birds and walkers.

Drove home via a different route, past burial cairns and a Stone/Iron age fort - the boulders are huge, you have to wonder how....

It is obvious that the area has been moulded eons ago.

There are many grit-stone quarries nearby, but quarrying ceased centuries ago, the landscape is littered with abandoned workings and part cut pieces.

On top of a very long ridge is an old Roman road, cut into bedrock. The grooves that run rain water into shallow pools on the bedrock, for horses to drink, are still to be seen.

When I was younger I used to run in the summer months along these tracks, starting at 5am in the summer months. The air was so fresh and clean, sweet to the senses.

Now, no-one seems to see, let alone recognise the history, nor search for it with any understanding.

Times change, Cherry. Memories don't.

Cherry, there is a terrible battle going on for our future. If the bankers win, our species stalls in a sea of debt and engineered crises. Natural "things" which can be harnessed will not be, as they cannot extract a price for them. I have mentioned this before.

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2010/10/11_Jim_Rickards_-_Race_Between_Gold_%26_New_Paper_Currency.html

Ours is not the first civilisation on this planet, the evidence is around us, but hidden. Key agencies know this.

I am rambling again

Have a good night.

I'll call back somewhere. :-)

jackie said...

I thought this might interest you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/11/business/media/11privacy.html?src=me&ref=business

CherryPie said...

I will be back a bit later to look at these properly and comment :-)

CherryPie said...

My pre 25 October 2007 posts are a good place to comment. Most of them have no previous comments because I posted them all on the same day that I posted my first blog post here. They are also unlikely to get picked up in Google and I have tried to stop comments (on this blog) being picked up by google.

Just before I get onto replying to your new comments I must add something to my previous comment that I missed off (I had just finished a much longer reply which blogger deleted as I posted it, this meant I had to start all over again). The thing I missed of is that when I mention what you say about the finances to my friends, TU colleagues etc. They get it straight away, I am sure you would have some intersting conversations with them, I certainly do :-)

That place really does sound lovely, I really must make the effort to see for myself :-) I did come and stay near there a few years ago with the intention of going walking. But that was the year that foot and mouth broke out so a lot of places were off limits.

There are still some people who look and see, those are the people I gravitate towards. People who rarely dismiss an idea or thought on first contact. They would much rather take those thoughts and ideas away so that they can mull them over and have proper discussion about them later.

Ours is not the first civilisation

I do get hints of that in some of the things I read, but I haven't got much further than that or into any details. So if you want to point me in the right direction :-)

The html/cookie link is very interesting. I am sure I have mentioned before about google ads seeming to be far more accurate to my tastes than they used to be. I did try and check out which html version they were using but it isn't immediately obvious. I will see if I can check that out a bit more...

Thank you :-)

Looking forward to you calling back somewhere :-)

CherryPie said...

OK I got a Techie friend to check out the version Google were using without giving him any other info.

It looks like they are using version 5! No surprises there then...

It has caused a long (unfinished) debate because he is the Techie and I tend to analyse everything and take it beyond the technical :-)

CherryPie said...

I don't follow the BBC but this link came to my notice whilst I was searching for the latest on the SDSR:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11528371

Post a Comment