Thursday, 21 August 2008

Erddig Hall

Following yesterday's post Alwyn has kindly explained that Erddig translates as "little garden". I think it is rather a nice name, but agree that 'little' is a relative term.

The hall was built in 1684-1687 for Joshua Edisbury who was the high sheriff of Derbyshire, it was designed by Thomas Webb. In 1718 the master of the chancery sold the building to John Mellor who in time enlarged and refurbished the house. John never married so when he died in1767 the house passed to his nephew Simon Yorke. Over the years the house passed down through the Yorke family until March 1973 when it was given to the National Trust.

A few years earlier a mineshaft from the nearby Bersham colliery had collapsed and caused severe structural damage to the property. The subsidence caused was 5ft deep and required underpinning to stop the house collapsing. To enable the work to take place the National Trust were able to obtain £120,000 compensation from the National Coal Board. In addition 63 acres of the parkland were sold off which gained an additional £995,000 which paid for the restoration work of the house.

The house is completely furnished and offers a unique insight into servants’ life during the 18th and 19th centuries.

More information and a number of interesting links can be found on Wikepedia.

I will leave you with the following poem which still hangs outside the still room inside the house:

May heav'n protect our home from flame.
Or hurt or harm of various name!
And may no evil luck betide
To any who therin abide!
As also who their homes have found
On any acre of it's ground.
Or who from homes beyond it's gate
Bestow their toil on this estate!

Long View

The West Front

Ivy Detail

PS: I will catch up with replying to comments and visiting you all later. I will soon be out visiting an Italian restaurant :-)

14 comments:

-eve- said...

Ooooh........ wow....
You're the best at gardens, Cherie :-)

Anonymous said...

There's also the Not on Erddig campaign

Dragonstar said...

It all looks so much nicer than it did. It was the summer of 1973 that we visited. Fascinating place.

Thanks also to Ordovicious for his information.

Crushed said...

That view over the water is striking.

Seems the sort of place that belongs, I don't know, Not what you'd expect Wrexham way.

It reminds me a little of Chatsworth, thoufh the gardens make on think Hampton Court.

jmb said...

Another of these beautiful places which abound in Britain. Lovely photos as usual Cherie

Ellee Seymour said...

It sounds stunning and yes, as jmb says, is something truly British and special.

Trubes said...

Erdigg is a wonderful place although I havn't visited it recently..Must do so soon I'm consulting my NT hanbook as i write.
We only live a short drive away so you have me inspiration for a day trip out Cherie, thankyou.

You do write some good stuff about gardens and i really enjoy reading yor site so thanks again.

Di.xx

Trubes said...

PS You have really 'given' me inspiration even!

Di.xx

CherryPie said...

Eve - Thank You :-)

Ordovicius - Thanks for the link. I am a member and I had no idea that National Trust planned to build there. I thought they were all for conserving places!!! I see Mark Pritchard is involved with the campaign He has given us incredible support in the campaigns we have been involved in.

Dragonstar - I think they started reconstructing them just after you visited.

Crushed - It really does have a lovely atmosphere!

JMB - I have been lucky enough to visit some lovely gardens.

Ellee - Thank You :-)

Trubes - I am so glad the post inspired you :-) If you have a camera, you could take a couple of pics to show me what it is like when you visit!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Looks a beutiful house and I love that verse.

luisa brehm said...

the last one is wonderfulllllllllllllllll !!!
i love the leaves when they stay with this color ....

CherryPie said...

Welshcakes - It is quite an amazing place :-)

Luisa - I think our leaves will be turning like that quite soon xxx

Sean Jeating said...

E is for eloquence.

Ere now I had chosen 'ease', but - ebviously - then I got easily erased by the erd erification. Eeeeeeh. :)

CherryPie said...

Sean - That erd erification is good at eating comments ;-)

Post a Comment