Monday, 28 July 2008

Defence Training in the Balance

In a recent post I noted what the book "Squandered" had to say about Public Finance Initiatives (PFI). The latest edition of Private Eye, in its own satirical way, reports on the changes to fiscal rules and how the rules were used to hide PFI deals valued at around £200bn of future spending in order to balance the books.
"As the old rules retire, expect plenty of guff about how they have served the economy well but now's time for a change. Their real legacy will be to have forced around £200bn of future spending into private finance initiatives just so commitments could be kept off the books. Enormous waste and hare-brained ideas such as privatising defence training are the result."
The full article can be viewed here.

This leads nicely to another Private Eye article that reports on how the Ministry of Defence is getting cold feet over their plans to privatise military training. The PFI deal worth £11bn is with the Metrix consortium whose members include Qinetiq, EDS and Raytheon.

A statement regarding the Metrix negotiation was expected before the parliamentary recess but, due to there being a question mark over the affordability of the project, the Armed Forces Minister Bob Ainsworth decided a written parliamentary statement would not be appropriate at this time. This follows the recent admission by him that the credit crunch may make the project unaffordable.
""Cost growth and the implications of the credit crunch on borrowing have been a significant factor," admitted Bob Ainsworth. "The department has been working jointly with Metrix to drive the price down to seek to eliminate the affordability gap without materially affecting the scope of the project."

The figures always were marginal but with Metrix's borrowing costs likely to rise and the deal dependent on selling land in a depressed property market, the hare-brained privatisation plan could soon be pulled or drastically reined-in."
The full article can be viewed here.

Anti Defence Training Review Poster

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The department has been working jointly with Metrix to drive the price down to seek to eliminate the affordability gap without materially affecting the scope of the project" - here's an idea, slightly outside the usual Ministerial thought box, I know, but bear with me - have you thought about not privatising defence training? You'd save a load of money then!

What's that? You hadn't thought of that? Why am I not surprised.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Good old "Private Eye"! Well done for highlighting all this, cherrypie.

CherryPie said...

Andi - It was all about getting the spending off the budget and hidden ;-)

Welshcakes - Private Eye are quite shrewd and I love their spin ;-)

Devonshire Dumpling said...

I love Private Eye. Their online publication isn't bad either.

Ellee Seymour said...

I haven't read Private Eye for ages, I'm glad it's still going strong, I am a fan of Ian Hislop. I didn't know they had an online version too.

James Higham said...

This is a great post and illustrates the private deals done. I researched this a fair while back and posted on who is actually supplying a lot of the money for this but I need to stay quiet now online. Ian Parker Joseph knows.

CalumCarr said...

A great post.

Thank you and Private Eye for keeping us up-to-date with this.

jams o donnell said...

Another one of those shakes my head in dismay posts. THanks for sharing Cherie

CherryPie said...

DD - They have a good eye for a story ;-)

Ellie - Thank You, glad you enjoyed it!

James - Thank You :-)wise to be careful here... You can send me the link if you like ;-)

Calum - Glad you found it imformative.

Jams - I see these things from both sides and it winds me up!!!

Richard Havers said...

Privatize the armed forces....I thought that only happened in banana republics?

CherryPie said...

Richard - Sad to say but they are trying very hard to privatise Defence here!

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,

Thought your friends might like to know about this. Says much about some privatecompanies involved in making money out of armed forces personnel and the general public.

H
Guess I won't be drinking Starbucks anymore!! !

Recently Marines in Iraq wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to let them
know how much they liked their coffees and to request that they send some of
it to the troops there. Starbucks replied, telling the Marines thank you for
their support of their business, but that Starbucks does not support the
war, or anyone in it, and that they would not send the troops their brand of
coffee.

So as not to offend Starbucks, maybe we should not support them by buying
any of their products! I feel we should get this out in the open. I know
this war might not be very popular with some folks, but that doesn't mean we
don't support the boys on the ground fighting street-to-street and
house-to-house.

If you feel the same as I do then pass this along, or you can discard it and
no one will never know.
Thanks very much for your support. I know you'll all be there again when I
deploy once more.

Sgt. Howard C. Wright
1st Force Recon Co
1st Plt PLT

PLEASE DON'T DELETE THIS. .. ALLOW IT TO BE PASSED TO ALL IN MEMORY OF ALL
THE TROOPS WHO HAVE DIED SO THAT WE MAY HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE TO SUPPORT
THEM OR NOT!! !

Also, don't forget that when the Twin Trade Towers were hit the fire
fighters and rescue workers went to Starbucks because it was close by for
water for the survivors and workers and Starbucks charged them! ! !

JUST A NOTE TO THIS: STARBUCKS HAD STORES ON SEVERAL MILITARY BASES IN THE
UNITED STATES. THEY ARE NOW BEING REMOVED BECAUSE OF THIS. GO GET 'EM
AMERICA . STAND-UP FOR OURSELVES!

There are also 227 stores across the UK and there's no doubt that our
soldiers would get the same response from this company.

CherryPie said...

H - I much prefer I small coffee shop myself ;-)

Post a Comment